Fantasy Animal Sculptures
This fifth grade art lesson has a strong integration of science and math. Students are building an entire eco system in their science class, and in the art room we are constructing the fantasy animal that would live within this ecosystem. They will work a partner to construct a 3D paper mache fantasy animal. After lots of research, they will be shown how to create a strong armature to hold up all the paper mache and collage materials that will be put on top! The final product is a unique work of art that comes directly from the student’s imagination.
- Students create art that reflects personal voice and choices.
- They evaluate how to manipulate tools safely and appropriately to reach desired outcome.
- Understand the balance of individual roles and collaborative skills to create art.
- Critique personal, and peer, art through application of art concepts and vocabulary.
- Students gain a better understanding of the Principles of Design by looking at one another’s sculptures, as well as their own.
Fifth grade students last year designed those beautifully painted ceiling tiles you have been seeing in the main lobby. All designs have an Engineering and Art focus, however students are coming up with the original works using the Engineering Design Process.
We hope you enjoy!!!